Do you guys have any dental advice? I made 2 videos explaining my teeth situation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J188GdTwij8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDfnvbtevJA

Now after getting the fillings, on of the front tooth started hurting, so I went back to check it again. After XRay she said I might need a root canal. I ve heard it's terrible procedure and you should avoid it. Any tips and advice. Should I get a root canal what further actions should I take to prevent further cavities to develop?

Thanks guys.

You need to be a member of The Frugivore Diet to add comments!

Join The Frugivore Diet

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I recently had a hole in one of my very back molars that I didn't even know about until a visit to the dentist. No pain or discomfort at all. He said I needed at the very least a huge filling then a crown or potentially root canal (which I would never get) or extraction. After getting around 50% of the tooth drilled out I decided to keep the other 50% as an experiment and see how much of the remaining tooth I could 'heal' through a 100% raw food lifestyle (I restarted raw on Jan 1st for unrelated reasons). I understand dentin can not fully regenerate but the surface of the tooth can somewhat harden over and form a new barrier. So I currently have a huge ass hole where he drilled and so far so good, the nerve is healthy and not giving me any problems even though it is close to the surface. This dentist said the hole was developing for a very long time and likely started from my bulimic past. I never flossed in the past either but am starting to now and also salt water + tea tree oil mouthwash. No toothpaste as it can be corrosive.  On a side note Robin has no cavities, no fillings (ever) perfect teeth basically and has been high fruit vegan for 4 years. Doesn't use toothpaste ever but flosses somewhat regularly. 

• Hi Freelee, thanks for replying here. Yes some people have better genetics with their teeth and dont need to floss as much, because their teeth are not so close together like mine. Yes cavities can take couple of years to develop, but not as long as I ve been on this lifestyle.

I think there is more to dental hygiene that we dont know yet, however not brushing or flossing is not a smart idea. 

• Hey thanks Milos, yes flossing and brushing with soft brush is good but be careful of bicarb soda toothpaste. Also apparently cavities can sometimes take many many years to develop so before 6 years easily. Are you drinking soft drink? 

• No soft drinks, but I went through period of time on this lifestyle, probably 2 or 3 years where I would drink juices with added cane sugar, or even just sugar water for lunch and breakfast if I couldnt find any fruit. Now I would rather have potatoes than do that. 

• Hi, how are your gums? Are they red and inflamed? I've been coconut oil pulling, Himalayan rock salt pulling and it's improved my gum health a lot in just a couple months. If you are seeing decay and haven't flossed much over your life, you might have pockets in your gums which is caused by your gums shrinking away from bacteria acids and plaque which can build up under the gum line. Another thing that seemed to help me with a very sore tooth was Calloidal Silver spraying on the area of cavity etc. I was about to have a molar pulled it was so painful and now it's been two years and still no pain and no further damage to that tooth. And some dentists do say root canals are not as healthy as extraction and implant, but implants are expensive and its not nice losing a front tooth. I had very sensitive front teeth too and they've gotten much less sensitive since doing my pulling flossing and brushing regime - I use non-fluoride Aloe-Dent toothpaste and I believe my teeth are better for it, but it's hard to say which has been the best game changer. What I can say is, if you sense an acid feeling in your mouth, or if you've eaten anything sweet, grab the rock salt water rinse. And, it's never too late to get a handle on your dental health, but do find a dentist that is open to alternative practises.
    • Thank you for your reply, I was doing coconut pulling for a while, now I switched to wheatgrass pulling, which they say is even more effective.

I ve heard about the sea salt or himalayan salt pulling, but I thought baking soda would be even better, what do you think?

And finally I even heard of Calloidal Silver, but not sure where to get it?

• I had a plaque for as long as I could remember that eventually resulted in a cavity between my 2 front upper teeth. I didnt floss until I was about age 37 lol.

Now Ive spent so much money on my teeth that I abused for most of my life I do try and floss each night and avoid a dry mouth at all times. I also NEVER sleep in air con at night. Maybe a blast or for for massage etc but open windows/fan is my choice.

Dentists drill away the tooth until there is not much left then they do root canal. That fails most of the time and causes bacterial issues and then an implant is recommended. I just got extraction followed by implant on a couple of my teeth.

• Wow you are pretty lucky to not get cavities earlier, with not flossing all your life.

Flossing is not promoted much as necessary, my parents never encouraged me to floss, only to brush in the morning and in the evening.

I see that some people wouldnt have problems even if they dont floss, because their teeth are not so close together, so the food doesnt get stuck in between.

However I reckon it should really be recommended for people with crowded teeth to floss after each meal, otherwise it´s just a matter of time before they will run into issues, like us. 

• Sorry for the delay. Remember the other contributory factors (h-pylori, maternal pregnancy, etc. ) aside from just flossing.
            /"thank you 4 your advice, im from austria and i have a problem to order this tea, i make a research and found out...... about 30~40 drops of essential oregano oil in 50 ml of coconut oil (or olive oil) 1 tspoon 3 times a day, and nigella sativa oil 1 spoon 2 times a day for at least 2 weeks...... what you think about that?

"Seems to sound OK. I've heard of oregano oil being recommended. I read about thyme oil, but that it can destroy the delicate flora balance of the gut if used past the short-term. Seems the same principle may apply for oregano oil. I would personally have no more than 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil per day. Due to h-pylori, I have small, hard abscesses along my gum line, which I'm unaware of unless I have oil, and then they really hurt. Make sure to check this the link below".
            H-pylori is prone to return, so be prepared. Matula tea is supposed to eradicate rather than suppress it. 
This reply was deleted.