Digging 1,000,000 Pounds Of Dirt As Exercise :)

Hey everyone,

Like many of you when I first got into eating raw fruits and vegetables my energy levels went WAY up and even though I lift weights and do yoga almost every single day PLUS have a full time (40 hours or more a week) job that involves a lot of lifting and moving around I still wanted to be more active and I quickly gave away my TV because sitting still long enough to watch TV shows, much less 2 hour movies, (or god forbid an entire season of Family Guy on DVD like I heard a co-worker saying he did on his day off) is just not how I want to spend my free time these days.

After watching one of Michael Arnstein's YouTube videos a while back where he ran a 100 mile race I felt inspired to do something really really challenging like that.  (I didn't even know that it was possible to run 100 miles in 1 day before I saw that and I of course admired his will.)  Unfortunately, I have tried running several times in the past few years but my knees just can't "take the pounding" so to speak and my knees will hurt for the next few days any time I go for a run.  I do however have a big empty backyard and a shovel so one day I decided that I was going to dig 1,000,000 pounds of dirt. 

I hope that you enjoy these pictures (lots of new ones that I haven't posted here or anywhere else) I had so much fun doing this project and I hope that any of you that have a big yard and a shovel will try digging as exercise...

Oh, but please please please call before you dig!  As you can see in the pictures I hit pipes while doing this project and I certainly don't want anyone to break a water pipe or get in any legal trouble.  By the way, the number to call before you dig just happens to be 8-1-1 ;)

http://www.sixstepstobetterhealth.com/1000000PoundsOfDirt.html

You need to be a member of The Frugivore Diet to add comments!

Join The Frugivore Diet

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Great idea and work. This is really amazing lol

• I'm impressed and inspired. I have wanted to do a similar project myself but don't have my own property. Also my idea was of course to build an earthen sauna with all the dirt. I did an apprenticeship at calearth and after seeing what you've done I can't help but think you might make the most industrious earth-builder ever. If you haven't seen what is possible with earth construction do check it out.

• Absolutely!  Just let me know what you need :)

• amazing! thanks for sharing. post some updates about the garden.

• I sure plan to, but I won't have anything growing until the summer of 2013.

• This is the coolest thing ever! The pipes, the composted tree, all the rocks, a well, four shovels and a rake, the FBI disguised as a news crew :P

Oh yea, and a million pounds of dirt!

Seems kind of pointless when I first started reading, but you came out with so much, including "lovely" rocks, a base to your organic garden, and a dinosaur skeleton lol. Let's not forget all the mental and physical strength acquired. I remember your workout vid you posted here a long time ago. I think you topped yourself with your digging. You are a freakin stud, man.

• Thanks a lot!  Yeah, I wasn't sure that digging a lot of dirt would be "interesting" at first either, but so many unexpected things happened while working on this project and luckily I had a camera to document it all :) 

• Friggin´ awesome, Jared!

• Cool I did something similar at my house, I dug out by hand for a couple weeks a parking area in the front of our house where there use to be an embankment.

I'm just glad you didn't get hurt, you could have had a cave in when you dug the well hole, that was way deep without those safety walls to stabilize the sides.

• I'm just glad you didn't get hurt, you could have had a cave in when you dug the well hole, that was way deep without those safety walls to stabilize the sides.

The day after those pictures of me in the well were taken I went outside and walked up to the well and one of the walls had caved in big time!  Like I said, this project was an adventure, but if I were to do it again I would be a lot more careful for sure.

This reply was deleted.