Helping dad to save his health

Hello, my mom asked me to live with them again for the reason that my dad looks really unhealthy. He is smoking, drinking, is overweight and has a huge beer belly, eats really bad fried food, will be 60 in two days and he is always working stressing job where he has to argue a lot. We are really worried. I cant look at him anymore, so I moved back home. My dad's temper is really bad, he is a choleric, be too. It is really hard for us not to argue. But I want to help my parents to start healthier living.

Can anyone help me for the start?

He really wishes to feel better, but its like whole bad habits in one person and the age of the risk to get a stroke. 

How to start with a person who is totaly into fried, fat foods and arguing. How to help if it is your own father?

Iam not ready to be a life teacher for anybody, but there will be no any time and if i will not try, i will regret all my life if we will loose him

Any comments and links will be good.

You need to be a member of The Frugivore Diet to add comments!

Join The Frugivore Diet

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I really do feel for your situation. Although people are getting more more conscious about their health, the bigger part of popuplation are still sticking with the traditional diets(especially in Lithuania). My parents are moderately healthy at this stage(they are both around 50 now) but I can see their health collapsing in some time as they eat whatever. The problem wtih this is that people only change when they want it themselves and most of the time they only want to change when they bump in to some sort of disease/illness/condition. My parents are very sceptical about veganism and diets  and reacts towith a mouthful of humour. Although I found that it helps when I study something myself really well and manage to prove it to them in a discussion(I am lucky they are willing to talk). This way I have managaed to get my parents to water fast all day yesterday for the first time in their lives. They couldn't believe how great they felt the next morning. 

So if your parents are open for discussion, make sure YOU know what to say and how BACK IT UP (arguments) so that they can feel that confidence in you and ask you questions. I have found that it is not enough to criticise the old ways and tell them to change. You have to tell them how to do and be willing and knowing how to help. you have to be ready as much as them. And it is not easy.

• Hi, Raw Power, I am totaly with you on this one. I want to tell you, that I have a similar situation. My dad is in extreme bad health, bad habbits, hamburger life with youghurt. He wont go off that lifestyle, but instead he stuff himself with lots of pills and oils- he believes that cannabis oil (2 big spoons a day) will cure him. He eat pills fot diabetes even though he doesn't have one yet, but his mother has one and he is eating them before hand. He is so silly. But he wont listen to me or my mom, she is a vegetarian, but eats a lot of milk products.

Does anyone have any advices how to get through old habbits, old thinking that milk cures, oils cure... I have a problem, because we don't have any good books in our language and my dad doesn't read english.

• Here i expect advices how to influence people to eat healthy without TALKING at all. Maybe dishes for fat lovers, maybe tricks, here we need NO TALKS and book recomendations.

This reply was deleted.