hills: is it me or the bike?

i know that theres a lot of cyclists here on 30BAD, so i thought id just ask a question thats been bothering me for a while now. im 15 and i got a shwinn bike from target that i only learned how to ride last may. i love to ride in circles all around my neighborhood but i find it impossible to go up hill even though i see people do it all the time. i wasnt sure if my legs just werent strong enough(i do 100 squats a day, as well as yoga, so i definately have some muscle though) or if my bike was just not really made for hills(if thats even such a thing!). hope someone can help me out!!

You need to be a member of The Frugivore Diet to add comments!

Join The Frugivore Diet

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Do you have a smartphone?  Get on Strava, and we can look at the steepness of the hill.

This hill is too steep for me to ride up.  I had to walk up it.  Strava says it's a 17% gradient:

http://www.strava.com/activities/197817972/segments/4660789854

• haha well i dont really ocnsider myself a hipster, i just wasnt sure if i needed the most expensive sporty bike since i knew i wasnt very good and wasnt going to be speeding down like lance armstrong

• ill take a look at my bike to make sure its in the biggest. thanks for helping me learn so much!

• probably an issue of the gear settings. the gear should go lower so you don't have to peddle as hard up hills.

• yep, thats what i meant to say in my first comment! i start at 7 (at bottom of hill) and decrase

• Your bike only has 7 gears.  A lot of bikes have 7 in the back + 3 in the front = 21 total gears.  To be honest, I usually only use 7 gears, however there are a couple of steep hills in my neighborhood where I have to use the easiest gears; gears you don't have.

I'd look for a bike that has 21 - 24 gears, and then you'll get up those hills.

• I meant to say 7 gears X 3 gears = 21 gears

• bahaha very funny :P at the time i wanted a very aatractive bike but now i wish i got a sportier one so i could ride better!

• thank you so much! ill keep trying even though its pretty hard, but maybe soon i can try and get a better bike. but also, what does it mean to be in the big ring on the back? also quick question, do your arms ever get super tired from holding on to the front of the bike?

• Well if you're increasing gear when you go up the hill it's gonna be way to hard! If you're finding it too hard then go back down a gear! Thats what gears are for xxx

This reply was deleted.