Replies

• Knowing that you have connections all over the world, who do I talk to about getting the proper bike and fit in Costa Rica as I'm moving there on January 19th! Thank you, DR!
    • There are bike fits on the internet. Sure, they may not be perfect for you but they're pretty good. 

• Youtube will have vids on gears. It'll depend if you have grip shift of thumb shifters. 

If you're just going to use it on the road it would pay to get some road tyres fitted. 

Another thing to do is get it fitted for you - seat height, handlebar height and the gap between the seat and the bars. 

Enjoy, Paul 

• Hey DURIANRIDER.

I am now preparing my own bike for the upcoming season (although the Spring is later as never before around here), so I will be subscribing to your channel, that watermellon helmet got me fully convinced!

• Looking to buy my first road bike. I have been looking for a good deal on a used one. I am starting to think I should just buy a new one. What advice would you give?

• Buy used - better $$ it means one less bike and gear produced - usually in some Chinese or Taiwanese factory. 

Most bike are hardly used compared with the mileage that they will do. 

I get tens of thousands of kilometers out of my gear. 

Make sure that the bike is the right size for you and if in doubt get someone who knows bikes (a decent shop would do this) to check it out for you. Stuff that wears like bar tape, chains/sprockets isn't that expensive to have replaced. 

• I totally agree with you except for the price of most used bikes. They dont seem to be great deals. I am fairly new at this but it seems in the past few years technology has changes a lot. So I look at a bike just a few years old in good shape say and it will be half its retail price. If i look at a new bike that is very similar the price is just over half what the used one is. I am still looking of course and hope to find a great deal. Do you think i am right about the technology changing quickly? mostly the price of carbon fiber is dropping fast right? but it seems components have changed too?

• Ended up buying a new Kona Jake The Snake.. Its a Cycle cross bike. I am loving it so far.

105 and ultegra

carbon fork

• Here we have a Nation net auction called Trademe. The used bikes there are always much better priced than new. 

I've had well over 30 road bikes and only ever bought 1 new/complete (in 1995). 

Yes technology does change fast with road bikes but mainly at the very high end (Di2 electronic shifting, carbon aero wheels etc) 

That is fine if you've got a bottomless bank account, you want the latest and greatest to try and impress people or you are a Euro pro and seconds in races count. 

I'm not a carbon fiber fan. See the bustedcarbon website.

You crash, it breaks & you throw it away. This happens to $6 k frames as it does for lower cost handlebars etc. 

Carbon forks are a good idea (I guess).

I'm an aluminium fan. Many aluminium parts are just as light as carbon and cost less/last longer.

I hope this helps. Paul  

• how to start cycling......total beginner.......safety....best sort of runs to start......basic equipment....etc. ???

This reply was deleted.