BACKPACKING TRIP FOODS!!!

Going primitive camping for a week or two- anyone done this type of dirtbagging stuff and know what to pack for sucessfull trips?

I have managed in the past as a vegan, except doing 40km on 4 apples isn't something I am proud of, nor want to try again. I want to do it right this time, not harming my body, and prepare myself well.

Anyone have any good ideas?! Is starch the way to go this week...since I think banannas which I love will be mush- and I do not like dried fruit much. I will miss my greens unless someone has ideas?!

I don't like breads and such...rice is my favorite but bringing along a cooker I guess will be my only option unless I manage fires for every meal. I am such a newb with this stuff, going to come with practice I guess!

EVERYTHING welcome from raw, to cooked ideas!

xx

You need to be a member of The Frugivore Diet to add comments!

Join The Frugivore Diet

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yeah, get dried bananas or other dried fruits, like dates etc. But go with dried bananas packs. Get water bottle, put water in and put any dried fruit in- wait for 30mins, shake it here and there = smoothie. 

If you need water, you can always go on 'google maps' search for nearest lake or houses nearby, though watch out for creepy strangers. If you really need water, and don't have one and thinking to get water from a lake, bad idea. Search up on youtube how to clean it. x)

• Hi there.  If you own a dehdrator, you can dehydrate just about any cooked meal you have made, or raw fruit and veggies, and it will keep for quite awhile.  The backpacking food sold is always  too salty and over cooked to me.  I deydrate my own lightly cooked veggies, and make my own fruit leathers.  Just cut the produce in small enough pieces to dry evenly,  then put in airtight containers.  Tastes way better than prepackaged stuff too!  U can use a camp stove, like the one from Jetboil to boil water in 2 minutes, when you are ready to eat.  For greens,  I forage for things like wild dandelion, which is pretty easy to spot.  I have eaten weeds for water when I have run out in my pack, to survive.  Just go for the young tender weeds to minimize execss fiber.

• I was camping for a few days last week and I had made salads in lunchboxes. I also had datorade, clif bars, orange juice, smoothies, and dried fruit. Also a bunch of bananas but they really got a little mush ;) Maybe they could be chopped too and put into boxes. 

Have a nice trip!

• that might be a good option!  thanks!

• Hey, i've never done anything like this before but if you want to take cooked food i know that there are rice packs that you can buy from the supermarket which are already cooked.  i'm not sure what country you are from but America has Uncle Ben's.  i don't know of any other brands that do this but try looking for something like that :)

Good luck!

• I really want to try to stay away from pre-made foods, but thanks still for the input!

This reply was deleted.