Thoughts on indoor exercise?

So it's been getting pretty cold where I am (I'm studying in Seoul at the moment), especially around my uni campus because it's all just reclaimed land so it's flat with lots of wind. Apparently, there's a lot of snow during the winter too. 

I have so much respect for people who trudge through conditions worse than this to keep on with their running/cycling routines, but it's really not practical for me to do that because I'm aiming for a scholarship and I really can't afford to get ill or injured. I've also jumped into running while starting the HCLF vegan lifestyle and my foot's been bothering me a bit, so I've started to stay in the gym on campus for exercise, using the treadmill/ cycling machine/ elliptical.

So, what do you all think about using these machines for cardio? I'm guessing it isn't ideal, but they're what I've got to work with. I know how much Durianrider/Harley advocates cycling, as far as saying that it's way better than running, so I'm going to try to get more into that... but will I get results that are way inferior than getting out there and riding a real bike? There are no real hills here, like I mentioned before, so perhaps the cycling machine would be a better option anyway because I can up the resistance? I don't know... haha. The elliptical also seems to get a lot of bad rap, but it's all from the HIIT/P90X protein powder+pre-workout sellouts so I want to know what you guys think! :) 

Thanks for reading the somewhat long post!

You need to be a member of The Frugivore Diet to add comments!

Join The Frugivore Diet

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If you have access to a gym, you can experiment and see what works for you.  

I am personally aging and have some creaky bones and joints and a kidney issue.  For me, running, jogging, jumping, and machines are pretty much a no no.  But, I have great results following dvds indoors and doing toning things like dancing and stretching.  During the warm months, I do walk outside about a mile a day.  

So yes, you can have good results with indoor activity.  But before you invest a lot of money, I recommend using gym equipment or a friends machine to make sure it is right for you.  

Plain old walking outside might be good too.  The traditional Eskimos live and work outside much of the year.  

Good luck and Peace, PK

• Seoul is pretty far north and you wouldn't be getting much vitamin D from being outside anyway: Geographic Location and Season: In the summer, if you sat out in a bathing suit on a sunny afternoon for long enough to turn your skin slightly pink, you could make plenty of vitamin D. Yet during the late autumn and winter, people who live at higher latitudes produce little or no vitamin D from the sun, because the sun is at too low an angle in the sky. In the northern hemisphere, people who live in Boston (U.S.), Edmonton (Canada), and Bergen (Norway) can’t make enough vitamin D from the sun for 4, 5, and 6 months out of the year.http://bit.ly/1jBRFxN

Indoor can work. No, it's not nearly as fun as ANY outdoor adventure - work those in, too, when your schedule and the weather permit.

First, take care of your foot.

Second, get your sleep, water, carbs.

Third, stop stressing the scholarship. I know it's easy for me to say - and you may need it to continue your studies - but I believe you will find a way to get there - stress will contribute nothing! In fact, stressing over the scholarship will lead to illness - not running in the snow! Running in the snow leads to bliss and euphoria!

Good luck, stress less, have fun!

Vitamin D
    Vitamin D is both a nutrient we eat and a hormone our bodies make. It is a fat-soluble vitamin that has long been known to help the body absorb and r…
  • exercise outside for the vitamin d. 

This reply was deleted.