I know this is a general question to a somewhat individual issue (I guess). And I know this site does not recommend water-fasting, so im not trying to promote, AND CERTAINLY NOT THE WAY IT'S BEEN CONDUCTED IN MY EXAMPLE, it im just interested to hear your opinions.

Im going to use an extreme fasting-case as example for this question of mine, so please beware that nor does this represent how people ordinarily fasts, nor is the procedure recommended by anyone being into fasting (in my knowledge). and the post-fast choices sounds horrendeous.

This woman did 3 consecutive 40 days of water-fasting with 7 days refeeding in-between each fast.

My question is, how is it possible to not suffer from demineralization etc etc. after so long of water-fasting? and how is it possible for this woman to turn out seemingly so well in the post-fasting yaddayyadda? im really curious to know.

Before first 40-days fast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgNh9mGb2K4&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=SP52CFD735D7B5734E

Last day on the 3rd 40 days fast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdqKS-JQ1i0&feature=related

Update after all 3 fasts, six months later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFbvOAbhcT8&feature=relmfu

You need to be a member of The Frugivore Diet to add comments!

Join The Frugivore Diet

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• i think Fasting and Eating for Health from Dr. Joel Fuhrman is a really good book about fasting, answers pretty much questions one can have about this topic

• Hi Janne,

It might interest you to look at what Don Tolman has to say about fasting. Not sure how easy his stuff is to find online, luckily my relatives have his books, so i got to read all about it and copious amounts of other concepts related to health etc...

Essentially he says... The body is amazingly intelligent, especially when it comes to fasting. The first day or so, you're body uses up all of the glucose in the blood, by the end of the second day your glycogen stores are depleted and on the third day your body switches to ketosis (and also uses about 1 to 2 oz of muscle per day). Not only this, but your body will scavenge for any diseased cells, scare tissue, tumors, toxin stores etc... In breaking these down i'm sure that you get a small amount of mineral supply etc... But a large concept that he talks about is that our body (and DNA) when provided with enough water, fresh air and sunlight can produce essentially all the required minerals. I will say that he does recommend doing jucing the week before a fast to really get your mineral stores up.

Three consecutive fasts is a bit intese, i'm amazed that she managed to get through. Couldn't really answer your question, but the body will constantly adapt to a new homeostasis (balance), so using less energy, conserving vit's and minerals etc...

I've done a 6 day fast before and it was great. Amazing for healing cronic conditions.

Dan

• thanks yeah I've read this

...but if so why would you need to get your mineral stores up before a fast if the body produces its own?

just curious were your planning to say more about Don and misspelled it slightly or is Dan also coincidentally your signature?

• u cant suffer from demineralization from proper fasting. this woman did it all wrong. 3 in a row? she took vitamins... really?. and she had stake in between?!  she did look very anorexic at the end. after all she did  fast in a way, so the body is a genius at conserving and rebuilding even when conditions r not optimal -such as vitamin intake during a fast.  she was at the point of going overboard but her body recouped i guess. other than that humans have fasted for longer than that.

• oh boy I didnd't know she was doing all that stuff

when you say looking anorexic are you refering to body weight alone? because naturally you will get very skinny after such long time. I thought anorexia was something different than just being severely below 'average' body weight. like other symptoms aswell and mainly a psychological thingy

This reply was deleted.