Where do the calories go?

Hi guys,

so I was wondering about the calorie intake.

All the websites and books and doctors say the body needs a certain amount of calories, let´s say 2100 for the average woman. Now if you eat 3000 cals, with only light excercise, then technically there are calories that arent being used by the body. I was always told excess calories turn into fat, no matter where those calories come from. Why doesn´t this apply to fruit and starches? Where does all the excess energy go?

Thanks for the help :)

You need to be a member of The Frugivore Diet to add comments!

Join The Frugivore Diet

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• How come Freelee isnt obese then?

She rides her bike a few hours a week at low intensity and is leaner than 90% of professional female cyclists despite 100% only doing maybe 20% of their yearly volume and about 1% of their intensity.

Look up hormones and how they are the main factor in determining body composition.

I can put 20-30kg on your body with NO changes in diet or exercise. Just by tweaking your hormones/fluid retention levels. 

• From my understanding it can be caused by multiple things.

One being, fruit and starches are whole foods, and thus they are not processed as much. Processing does not add calories magically unless they add material, however, it does rather make the molecules/energy more bio-available. Because of this, eating wheat that is in it's whole form (or close to it) will be less absorbed regardless of the amount you chew it compared to when in a more processed form such as bread. This is because it's more bio-available, and thus easier to absorb.
    The above concept also applies to cooking, if you cook a starch, such as sweet potatoes, they typically become easier to digest as they are more processed/changed from it's whole natural form, and thus may contain more simple easier absorbed materials such as sugar.

Another option is Glucose. I'm new to this lifestyle (within the last half year) and I've never seen someone actually explain what happens in regards to Glucose. Harley talks about "bonking," if you look up what that is it is when an athlete "hits the wall" because their glucose storage(s) are depleted or near depletion. When this occurs the athlete cannot perform well at all, as they're literally out of bio-available energy and then will have to resort to metabolizing more fat storages, which takes time, and is less efficient in terms of quality provided. Because it takes time and it's not as efficient, hitting the wall is virtually the end of your session unless you "carb up" especially in a simple sugar form.
    So what does this mean above fruits and starches? Well, most of them are primarily sugar & starch in terms of caloric/energy content they can provide you. Because of this when you consume them, your body attempts to convert both into the easiest and simplest form of sugar (for the body) which is glucose.  Once it does this, to store the glucose is sent into the bloodstream, and to the only mechanism the body has to preserve the glucose, which is the glycogen storage(s) in the muscles of your body and the liver. If it is not sent there, your body has no choice but to get rid of it somehow, which primarily is done by "wasting" the energy by slamming it into cells giving them a surplus, which is often referred to as a "warming" or an "internal thermos" in the high-carb community. Or turning it into fat, which is a troublesome and limited process for the body (at one time).
    Now, glycogen storage(s), depending on the individual and their past history (diet and movement wise), is usually between 600g and 1000g, which because glycogen is as you'd think, primarily sugar. The reason for this is because about 10-15g/kg of body-weight is an average glycogen storage. Why? Well, 2% of the muscles by weight and 10% of the liver by weight is devoted to glycogen storage(s), and thus if you're a guy or simply muscular you will have a natural inclination to a higher glycogen storage. However, if you participate in caloric restriction and either not enough movement or too much on caloric restriction, basically if your tank is on the lower side of it's potential/average storage amount, you will, well, have a smaller storage. This is why people who follow this lifestyle gain weight at first, then lose weight. This is metabolic damage, it's a lack of glycogen storages. If you want to calculate your approximate storage-potential, calculate your LBM, subtract your likely skeletal weight as well as organ weight, then multiply that by 453(g) and divide by 100, finally multiply by two and you'll get your muscular glycogen storage (potential). Then take your liver weight and times it by 453, then divide by 100, then times it by ten. That would be your likely no frills glycogen storage(s) level(s).
    Finally, to bring this all into a single point, if you do not surpass your glycogen storage(s), eating fruit and starches will never make you gain weight, and may actually result in weight-loss due to extra movement if it occurs, however I didn't mention why that is the case. This is why Freelee and Harley, although many people doubt their caloric suggestions and intake suggestions will never be right. They say long-term success for a reason, if you've damaged yourself into a terrible storage level you'll gain weight, but this is necessary because it puts a demand and request in or a larger glycogen tank. You can theoretically grow it through carbing up right up to your limit after physical activity, however it is not nearly as efficient and some have found it to be inconclusive (didn't work consistently in test group).

Another option is fruit/vegetables are just grossly over-estimated in terms of energy content because of poor growing practices in most of the world, especially in the western world. This is iffy though, and it really likely boils down to the first bio-availability issue.

To wrap it up, carb up, stay carbed, and eventually you'll have success, even if you eat 4k calories a day, or even 6k. Long-term your tanks will grow and your body will be more care-free with the use of it, and more-so it will be used more abundantly by your brain, particularly during sleep, and thus you'll likely always have room for more carbs.
    They aren't lying that excess calories turn to fat though, that's proven through eating too much processed foods, especially ones with way too much at, and especially through a lot of the newbies who gain weight on a high carb diet. But I personally don't think that is natural or reasonable if you weren't conscious and you just behaved without thinking or influence. It only occurs because of the unnatural restriction, the culture & society, that the world has been poisoned with by the human species.

• wow, thanks for that awesome answer. I´m not quite sure if I understood everything in its depth, but I´ll but some more research into glycogen storages. But from what I understood this sounds very logical :D

Thank you :)

• If there's anything you have questions about, or want to ask more about I'd be glad to answer.
        :3

• Why people do always assume that all the calories we eat are actually used ? Your poop still has a lot of calories in it that will be used by other living forms.

• If you lose weight this is what happens;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuIlsN32WaE

• That was quite interesting, but this guy in the end gives the simple solution of eating less and moving more. Isn´t Freelee and durianrider trying to go into the exact opposite way? By this logic they both should be obese.

• That's where glycogen storage(s) come in. Eating less and exercising more works, but it'll likely result in the whole low-tank and a rebound in the weight once the diet is relaxed or lifted.

• Excess calories turn to body fat...But your body will easily gauge your calorie intake perfectly. There's no need to restrict calories OR force calories. Just like all other animals, eat when hungry until satisfied - and remember that its foolproof so there's no need to ask "am I satisfied now, I should be, I better stop eating" and all that stuff...no restriction needed. 

• Thank you :)

This reply was deleted.