New Smithfield Market Roadtrip (North West 811ers)

How do fruit lovers ... 

I'm going to make an early morning trip to New Smithfield Market in East Manchester in the next week or so to pick up some bulk buy bargains! 

From what I read there's not much in the way of organic but there is one organic stall with a minimum £200 spend ... not an issue if a few folk head down. 

Anyone up for a road trip? 

You need to be a member of The Frugivore Diet to add comments!

Join The Frugivore Diet

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hey guys I'm new to this site and just saw this thread! Anyone wanting to go to the wholesale market in Liverpool hit me up :) I'm feeling the intimidation myself! x

• I have been twice There and very happy went home. Still didnt check Organic place, but i will and if i cant shop myself per £ 200 ill be happy to coop.

• I been to Organic shop(they are open only Mondays and Wednesdays, minimum order is £ 150, plus You can email them and ask price list. U even dont need to go there to do order. I did at home, plus they gonna do home delivery, but thats because i not live very far from. And only when i get my fruits and veggies i pay after. Very happy.

• just forget to write, U can get 25 kg large bag  potatoes per less than 5 pounds!!!

• Hey, I should mention that the organic stall is order only, so if you want fruit you have to pre-order it from them.

• Thanks for this Jennifer. :) 

Think I'm just going to head down with a notebook and just buy a couple of crates of bananas, a huge bag/box or carrots for juicing, and maybe some dates.  Did you find they took your produce to your car or did you carry it?  Contemplating taking a two wheel trolley/truck but don't want to look a fool if they take it all to my car and I'm walking around with an empty trolley. :)

• Hey, I apologise it has taken me so long to reply. Have you been to the market yet? I normally buy my fruit and they leave it outside so I can drive my car over and get it. Normally in Liverpool I get willing gentlemen to help carry stuff or if I get a lot from one vendor they'll take it to my car by forklift. Most of the time I just drive up to the back of their units and load it in the car myself.

• Hey :) 

Yes I made it there on Wednesday morning.  It was kind of intimidating but I could get the hang of it ... I think.  I think I'd feel a little more confident shopping there with someone else but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. 

I was using trip one to just get an idea of how it works and the stall I bought from took all my stuff to the car for me which was great. 

Saw a couple of folk with trolley's so I may make the investment if I can find a used one on eBay. 

If you're going to Manchester one again let me know ... be good to see how the experts shop. :) 

• Hi how you doing :)

how much did the fruit work out at? did it work out a lot cheaper than using the supermarket?

• Yeah it is pretty intimidating and you definitely get used to it. I tend to go to every store and ask for their prices before I make a purchase, most of the items are the same price but sometimes you find that you can get stuff a few £'s cheaper.

I tend to go to Liverpool more than Manchester though because that's where I live and there aren't many stores in comparison to Manchester. I think it helps to build up a rapport with the guys there and become known so that they know what sort of prices and produce you are looking for.

In Liverpool I go to different vendors for different items. There's only one banana guy, but I tend to buy the same veg brands each time because I know the quality is good. It's all trial and error, but it is so much fun. I look forward to shopping every fortnight! 

This reply was deleted.