The Open - 2016

How was it for folks??! 16.2 was the most brutal for me. I should have gotten through round 2, 75 pound clean, but I was BEAT after a long week of my day job too. Here are my stats. Kicked some ass for my first open ever and only after doing crossfit for less than 6 months!

All scaled.

16.1: 223 reps

16.2: 175

16.3: 91

16.4: 176

16.5: 20:16 minutes.

CHEERS TO BEING DONE! Onward and forward to more training and working on our weaknesses!

You need to be a member of The Frugivore Diet to add comments!

Join The Frugivore Diet

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I redid 16.1 - Lunge, burpees, jumping chest to bar. This time, instead of holding the scaled 35# in front rack, I held it overhead. I got 7 rounds + 25ft lunge, which is a little more than 1 full round less than what I got the first time. I didn't have the competition pressure to push me. I'm going to redo it again in a few weeks and try 45# overhead, continuing to increase until I hit the Rx weight.

• nice job. I'm sure holding OH is a whole other animal.

• Katsu - are you raw 811? 

How do we want to organize this group so we can be more active and share stuff? For myself - I like the idea of checking in weekly about progress, goals, set-backs and challenges, exciting things.. Any other ideas?

WOD challenges?

I am thinking about doing the 100-push up challenge and I might start a forum about that either here or in the other fitness forum on 30bananas.

• Sounds good - I'm "starved" for some vegan company ;)

Actually I'm not 80/10/10 - more like 60/20/20. I'm learning to listen to my body, and I find that I'm not constantly lurking in the kitchen when I have a bit more fats and protein in my diet. I mostly eat veggies with some grains, but have one or two protein hot chocolate (protein powder, non-dairy milk & cocoa powder) in the day.

I've been strictly vegetarian since the October 2015, and have been "practicing" vegan - my boyfriend is a solid carnivore and took my changing over the veggy diet pretty hard (he's French :D) so I'm concentrating on showing the benefits of this lifestyle by example rather than trying to bully him into it. I'm the main cook in the house and everything I cook for us is vegan, but sometimes I'll cook for him veggy quiches, a yogurt cake... 

Also, the winter where we live (and the house) is pretty cold so the raw diet is hard over this season, but as it gets warmer I'm moving to eating more rawTill4 style.

I started CrossFit last October too (the veggy shift came at the same time) and absolutely love it, the variety of things to do suits my short attention span ;) I work out at least 5 days a week for 1-2 hours per session. Sharing motivation would be great!

• Yay!  good hub, Katsu and Niki.

nice to have some vegan CF company.  We'll have to track each other throughout next year, here if you like, but until then:

are either of you on FB?  

Here's a nice small vegan exercise group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1444097852585872/

Very happy with this years Open, my second official time participating.

Last year was top 15% of world and region, and far exceeded that this year, scaled throughout to keep it consistent.

.1  328 reps.  Good thing we got the burpees done early.  No way Castro would do em again....

.2 423r.  really proud of this one as the 155# was 5# shy of my 1rm, and I hit it 9 times to advance to the final round

.3 156.  remember the crazy forearm burn!

.4 266.  how to make a warmup DL weight feel like a max set :/)

.5 11:56.  Just gogogo...I'll breath later....

Facebook
    • Great! I sent a join request to the group.

You hella could have RXed some of those :P Next year bud! Verrry nice time on 16.5. How did you break up the sets if you did at all. Any rest time?

• Thanks!  21 were unbroken, a couple breaks in the 18's per my coach/judge, though it's debatable they were necessary.  One in the 15's, then ran the table.  A top moment was when coach called rest in the 12's and I shook it off, to which she responded:  "Go on with your bad self then!!" :)

yes, i could have RX'ed everything, but I don't think essentially a one round workout such as Point Two would have become is very indicative of my fitness.  I'd rather pick a level I can do with greater virtuosity and give it my all for the full duration.  Like in Point One, I might have been able to lunge the 95, but would probably have been staggering all over the place.  

Yes, let's see what another year of training yields.  My motor is well tuned, just gotta add some more muscle to the car ;)

Assuming most of the numbers are in, saw a great improvement this year from top 15% in region/world last year to top 2% this year, with greater participants.  Must be doing something right!

• This is my first Open games too! I joined Crossfit in October...

16.1 Scaled 244 - my ass hurt for 4 days after those lunges :D

16.2 RX 83 - Squat cleans were near my 1RM :/

16.3 RX 10 - so close to getting a bar muscleup!

16.4 Scaled 193 - OMG those wall balls!

16.5 Scaled 17:49 - with 22kg bar (run out of plates)

• 16.3 - Sounds like those muscle ups tripped you up? Kudos to you for going for the RX even though it was gonna be challenging!! Did you consider at the time of re-doing 16.3 with the scaled version?

16.5 - how did you break up your sets of thrusters?

Thanks for sharing!! I'm going to start being more active on this forum and maybe the FB group if there are other cool CFers there.

• I did 16.3 scaled too but don't recall the result... No point logging scaled on games.rossfit.com though if you've done any reps of RX at all - the way the scoring works is that 1RX rep puts you higher than if you did 1000 scaled reps... I don't take the scoring too seriously, but I am competitive haha.

16.5 - I broke thrusters down like this: 11+10, 6+6+6, 5+5+5, 6+3+3, 5+4, 3+3, 3 - my shoulders are pretty weak, and have poor mobility (on which i'm working loads) so anything involving pushing up knackers me out. With burpies I did them all unbroken but at a constant steady pace, using them to recover basically.

How about you?

This reply was deleted.