52 years old ~ can this way of eating still work?

Hi everyone!

I'm rather new to this forum, but I am very excited to be apart of this way of living.  I read Durianders Book CTFU this summer and went 3+ weeks doing the RT4 program.  I really loved the book.  Having been a Health and Wellness coach and a nutrition junky .... his book really made good sense to me.

I didn't experience any weight loss, which disappointed me.  I thought hey ... if I can be thin like Freely .... and healthy like both her and Duriander are .... I'm all in.

My question is if you do RT4 strictly and follow the guidelines .... eating plenty of calories ... at 52 can you expect to loose some fat?  I'd say I have about 20lbs to loose.

Anyone been there done that?  I'd really appreciate any tips and insights you'd have.

Also I am travelling from Canada where I live to Israel next week for 10 days and wondered if there were any good travel tips on remaining RT4?

Thanks for your input!

Jacqueline

You need to be a member of The Frugivore Diet to add comments!

Join The Frugivore Diet

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Fell off the wagon!! I am back again.  Day 8 in but struggling with a few things.   I get sick of eating so much fruit but am hungry.   If I stick to the macro's of 90/5/5 low fat, high carb foods, will I still see results?   I am eating like 1,800 - 1900 calories. Is this okay?

• Hi Jacqueline,

I remember commenting to you last year. I'd say go back to basics and look through the things below to get a reboot. And use cronometer to make sure you are truly eating 80/10/10 and hitting all the nutrients to thrive. The things you have done in the past will greatly effect your early results. Try to get Freelee's ebook as well. http://www.30bananasaday.com/page/the-raw-till-4-diet.  

http://thebananagirl.com/faqs.php

Aloha to 30BaD's Welcome Wagon!

Forum Guidelines: Read before posting!

Frequently Asked Questions

How to pick ripe fruit

Please read our banana wagon guide

This is how we do things here on 30BaD

Daily Recipe for Long Term Success

• Thank you Bananamomma! I fell off the wagon b/c I was trying to be a purist about the fruit and didn't know what to do when I felt like I couldn't eat another banana even though I was still hungry. Then I'd cave and eat something cooked, which made me feel like I failed, which made me throw the towel in.
        I have both Freelee's and Durianriders books. Love them both!
        I bought CTFU last spring and have just re-read it and Freelee's book I bought last fall.
        I guess what I need to know is that it's okay to have cooked rice or some potatoes or even some bread if I can't do the fruit until 4 everyday. As long as I stick to 80/10/10 or even 90/5/5 low fat high carb, right? What freaks me out is at age 52 eating 2000+ calories seems like a lot. I do exercise about 4x a week and walk 12,000 steps+ a day. But I just can't gain weight or I will really feel horribly worse about myself. So I come to this forum for some support, guidance and reassurance.
        • Jacqueline,

Of course it's ok to eat cooked rice or potatoes. I am one of those that can eat cooked no matter what time of day without it effecting my stomach, BUT I am not one of those who can eat cooked and not gain substantial amount of weight. This is just a suggestion, but what I do everyday is eat or blend celery, cucumber, romaine and a little fruit such as strawberries or kiwis as part of my lunch. It really fills me up where I'm not starving ever and I don't need to eat cooked food at all.

• This forum recommends at least 2500 calories for women.

• Thanks Scott!

So what about eating white rice or boiled potatoes when I am feeling I can't eat so much fruit?
        • Eat the rice or the potatoes.  Raw till 4 doesn't necessarily mean you have to eat raw fruits and vegetables till 4.  It's a recommendation for optimum results, but even sub optimal results are great results.  Eat what you need to eat to stay vegan.  Try to work your way to a more Raw Till 4, and make sure you are eating enough food.  Under 2000 calories one or two days a week is fine but not every day.  You won't get enough micro-nutrients if you are eating so few calories of whole plant foods.

• I am 53 and last year I went fully raw for 38 and pretty food stuffed trying to get in enough calories. Lost 14kgs - not sure what that is in pounds, easy as falling off a log. Nil exercise at the time due to back injury. 

Since then I have not looked back, but to be honest on rice or potatoes or pasta my weight goes up, probably because I am not able to exercise like most of the young ones can. Now I eat a cooked meal at night but this is only steamed greens and sometime mushrooms. 

On this diet I have nil arthritis or asthma and tons of brain energy. Nil brain fog or menopause symptoms like my counterparts. 

Hope this helps. 

• Hello Haven Raye!

Thank you for your response.  When you say you went fully raw for 38 ... what do you mean?  38 days?  What would a typical days diet look like for you?

Do you crave cooked foods?  I find since I LOVE to cook ... it's a challenge sometimes, but if I can get creative with Raw foods ... then maybe I can channel that energy into doing that.

Jacqueline

• If you are truly eating a primarily high carb, low fat, whole food plant based diet as RT4 recommends, it won't be possible to not get lean eventually.  Patience is key. 

This reply was deleted.