Alright, alright. The title seems a bit harsh ; I couldn't think of anything else to title it, okay?

My mom is severely obese. I've been going to doctors appointments with her (I'm so bored this Summer, what else can I do? :p) and she is 5' 1 and over 350 pounds. (That's a body mass index of 66.1!! Holy shitaki mushrooms!!) She eats and eats and eats crap food all day,*eating right now as I am typing this* and will not get up off of her bum to exercise. Heck, she can't even walk for five minutes without needing to sit down for another ten. She has diabetes type two, and takes tons of pills/vitamins daily. (I'm talking, maybe fifty?) 

She has tried multiple diets in the past, but has gained all of the weight back. She does have a problem with bingeing and food is a very sensitive subject to her. Every time my mom eats she yells "don't judge me!" when really, I don't judge ANYONE by how they eat. It is rude and disrespectful. Yes, I do look at her while she eats, and that is because she is always talking while she eats. It's rude to look away from someone while they are speaking to you.

My dad (who is fifty-one going on thirty, very fit and healthy) and I are both very, very, worried about her. This year she had a horrid kidney stone that lasted for four months and had to be removed via surgery.

I really want what is best for her. I love my mother to pieces and want her to live a long, healthy life. She is 43 years old. The high carb low fat vegan diet (whether cooked or raw) is what is best for her, I know that for a fact. Is there any way I can inform her about this lifestyle without making her cry or feel pressured? I don't want to push her into anything, don't want to tell her she is fat, or make her feel absolutely awful about herself. I know this might not be any of my business, but if my father and everyone else in the family is worrying about her, something needs to be done.

Thanks for any help, it's really appreciated.

You need to be a member of The Frugivore Diet to add comments!

Join The Frugivore Diet

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 'Is there any way I can inform her about this lifestyle without making her cry or feel pressured?'

-No. She yells at you just for looking at her.. she has no love/respect for you it seems;

'I don't want to push her into anything, don't want to tell her she is fat, or make her feel absolutely awful about herself.'

-There's no other way around it I'm afraid.. she is fat and should feel awful.. not because she's fat but because of the way she's treating loved ones.

'I know this might not be any of my business, but if my father and everyone else in the family is worrying about her, something needs to be done.'

-It is your (and your father's) business because it affects your lives directly.. you guys live with her and take care of her.

If I was in your place, I'd ask her to sit down with the family and have an honest conversation about this issue and try to find a solution -therapy, rehab, diet and lifestyle change,etc..

If she's not willing to do it that shows that she doesn't care much and than I'd give her an ultimatum. Change or you'll not see me again. If she doesn't change/talk/agree to therapy/etc. by the date of  the ultimatum, I'd pack up my stuff and leave.

She needs to be shocked back into reality.

• I completely, completely agree with where you are going, but the last time she had a traumatic experience (my sister died) she became seriously depressed and suicidal ; I do not want her to have to go through that awful stage again.

Your advice is wonderful. I am going to show this to my father and see what will happen from there. Thank you. :)

• treat her to some nice films like forks over knives or the beautiful truth, you will be able to find both of those DVDs at the library.

http://www.30bananasaday.com/video/forks-over-knives

• Ahh, forks over knives. I love that documentary. My dad was so interested I got him to watch it.

Challenge #1: Get her to sit down and watch it. :p

Maybe I'll just hand her the 801010 book and say I'll give her fifty dollars if she reads it. Who knows. Thanks for the advice. :)

This reply was deleted.